Endlers U.S.A. Forum Index
Portal  •  Forum  •  Profile  •  Search   •  Register  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in   

Setting up my Orchid colony

alexmtl

canada.gif

PostPosted: 08.08.2013, 03:12    Setting up my Orchid colony Reply with quoteBack to top

I have 5 pairs of Orchids from Adrian and I have set them up in a 20 gallon. I have removed the other males and chose the best to breed in with the 5 females. I will most likely keep this pattern and take out the less attractive males, seeking black dominant coloration and vibrant colors in the offspring. I will bring in the other males to strengthen the gene pool every few generations.

Any comments from experienced colony keepers?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
kanga

madagascar.gif

PostPosted: 08.08.2013, 03:54    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I am thinking out loud here Alex, why not leave them together and let the first generation appear then collect all the frys and separate male and female then breed for your desire from non violated females. Mr dgrummon did this sort of thing in the past so i will let him tell you his experiences......I am into lazy colony "Keeping" ie the unique within an unique.....please keep us in as part of the project.
alexmtl

canada.gif

PostPosted: 08.08.2013, 04:02    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks kanga
I have thought about splitting the colony once it gets a higher population thereby creating two gene pools. At this point I only have the diversity of the genotypes contained within the current fish that I have. Therefore I will focus on one line with one male and then create another line with the next best male.

kanga

madagascar.gif

PostPosted: 08.08.2013, 04:56    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Alex,

you currently have five pairs which mean 5 females.....put two females into one tank and leave the other three in another and the boys can be any where. by the year end you will be in knee deep with frys and by the same time next year you will be in neck deep.....this is only with orchard line.....other line like Blue Top Sword and White Peacock...We still trying to figure out to why??????

endlerlover5

usa.gif

PostPosted: 24.10.2013, 14:33    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

i to have 5 pair of endlers from adrianhd and i agree with kanga thats what im going to do
raym

canada.gif

PostPosted: 06.10.2014, 06:15    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Alex and Endlerlover5,

How is the progression of your lines?

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageAIM Address    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

Board Security

3922 Attacks blocked